Personal injury refers to injury caused to the mind, the body, or the emotions, and is term used in lawsuits where an injury to a victim is the direct result of negligence on the part of another party. The most common causes of personal injury include traffic accidents, slip and fall accidents, workplace accidents, and injuries due to defective products.
Many times, personal injury involves a substantial cost to the victim in the forms of medical bills, doctor’s visits for ongoing medical conditions following the accident, lost wages from work, and physical or emotional trauma. Since these costs are beyond the ability of the average person to pay, the party whose negligence caused the accident may be obliged to pay the victim compensation. However, the legal process behind personal injury claims is difficult, so it is important to enlist the help of a qualified and competent personal injury attorney in order to file a claim.
When deciding on an attorney to represent you, there are several things to keep in mind:
• Responsible personal injury attorneys will have the recommendation of the local Bar association, so contact the Bar to make sure the attorney is in good standing.
• Schedule a consultation with the attorney. They should be attentive to your case details, take notes, and be able to come up with a course of action, as well as decide on a reasonable compensation amount to seek. Be wary of attorneys offering to get you large compensation awards for minor cases, or that charge heavy fees.
• Look at the personal injury attorney’s track record on cases similar to yours. If the attorney has successfully negotiated settlements for similar cases, then the chance of your case having a favorable outcome is greater. Most personal injury claims do not make it to the point of a lawsuit, so this is something to look at as well.
• Make sure that the attorney specializes in personal injury cases. Some attorneys only rarely settle personal injury claims, and will treat the case as an opportunity to make money, rather than to represent you. See how long the attorney has been helping personal injury victims, and what types of legal work they performed before that.
By following these guidelines, you can find the right attorney to suit your needs, and get the compensation you need to get back to your life following an injury.
- What is Personal Injury?
- How do I Choose a Worker’s Compensation Attorney?
- What is Worker’s Compensation?
- What is an Auto Accident?
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.